How to find out if you accept insurance of an Emergency patient

• How to find out if you accept insurance of an Emergency patient

Posted by Erum Jabbar on September 14, 2023 at 4:04 pm

Hi so I have a question I was doing the course Reception and Telephone skills and was doing the emergency part. My question is what if we don’t except the insurance and a lot of patients will get upset if we schedule them get them in and then tell them that we don’t accept their insurances. So how do you deal with that without making them upset. For example if my office doesn’t accept HMOs and the emergency patient had HMO.

• This discussion was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by  Erum Jabbar.
    Erum Jabbar replied 7 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Missy Pollard

Organizer
    September 14, 2023 at 4:15 pm

Thank you for your question. If a patient calls with an emergency, we always explain that we will do what we can to get them out of pain. We also let them know that we are fitting them in and a second appointment may be needed to complete any treatment. This allows you to determine if this is a “true emergency” and it also allows you to manage the patient’s expectation of their visit. I would highly recommend letting them know what to expect during the appointment – PA, limited exam – and the cost. You may ask them if they have insurance and explain that you will do your best to verify their benefits prior to their visit, but they will be responsible for the cost of the visit. Again, this lets you know if this is a true emergency. Letting patients know in advance what they can expect as far as treatment anf financial obligations is important so there are no suprises.

When the patient arrives, explain to them again what the appointment will entail. If you were not able to get the insurance information verified, collect the amount that will be due prior to taking them to the operatory. If further treatment is needed, you can present a treatment plan and discuss finances before moving forward.

I hope this helps!

Missy

• Erum Jabbar

September 14, 2023 at 4:20 pm

Thank you for the explanation!

• Laura Nelson

Organizer
    September 14, 2023 at 4:16 pm

Thanks for the question.

When speaking to patients about dental insurance, it’s important to establish a positive and welcoming tone from the beginning of the conversation. You can start the call by acknowledging their interest in dental care and expressing your enthusiasm to assist them. Building rapport and understanding their needs should be your initial focus, allowing you to gather more information about why they are calling.

Once you have established a connection, you can then address their questions about insurance. By approaching it this way, you create an opportunity to explain how insurance works for your practice in a clear and concise manner. This approach ensures that the patient feels valued and understood, while also providing them with the necessary information about insurance coverage. Remember, the goal is to balance the importance of addressing insurance inquiries while also building a strong rapport with the patient.

• Erum Jabbar

September 14, 2023 at 4:20 pm

Thank you got it!