Insurance Waiver Question

• Insurance Waiver Question

Posted by officemanagerrw on January 18, 2024 at 4:21 pm

I have a very different scenario that was approached at my clinic. Patient has insurance through his employer, which we are in contract with. However, he would like to sign an insurance waiver for the service and pay as a cash patient. He would also then like us to use a discount plan for this service. My understanding is that they cannot “double dip” so to speak since we already take adjustments with the patients insurance through their employer. The savings/discount plan he would like us to use is through a different insurance company. Many thanks!

• 2 Replies
  • Missy Pollard

Organizer
    January 19, 2024 at 8:12 am

Thank you for your question. I am going to pass this question along to Colleen Huff, dental insurance coach and expert, for an answer. I will post this in the PATIENT INSURANCE AND FINANCIALS community as well. As soon as I have a response, I will make sure to post it here. THANK YOU!

• Colleen- Dental Insurance Coach Huff

January 24, 2024 at 7:26 pm

So the first question is which state are you in? There are some states that allow you to use both but you would bill to the insurance company the discounted rate. The patient would pay the lowest Fee schedule. IF they sign an exempt form- the work that is done can NEVER be shared with anyone else. So all work regarding that/those teeth cannot leave the office or be given out with their history. This is a very difficult thing to track and could lead to a potential HIPAA breach at some point in the future. Also that patient can retract that release at any time and you would then be billing the insurance and could end up owing that patient money back.

I hope that makes sense or helps.